Thursday, October 6, 2011

Why would a light switch flip off on it's own?

I have a regular ceiling fan and light fixture and tonight while I was looking directly at the lamp it turned off - like the power had shut off. I noticed I still had power, so I thought the bulb had blown (even though there was no 'pop' or anything). When I went over to the switch to turn it off to change the bulb, the switch was already in the 'off' position - the light came right on when I flipped it to 'on'. The only other person in the house was taking a bath, so I know it wasn't somebody playing a prank on me.



The bulb in that light is a higher wattage than is recommended (I know - that's not safe and is pretty stupid), but wouldn't any kind of overheat situation throw the breaker? This all just seems very weird that it would flip the switch on it's own.
Why would a light switch flip off on it's own?
this guy knows
Why would a light switch flip off on it's own?
It's possible that the switch was not fully in the on position and worked back down. If the switch fells like it is loose or moves too easily it is wore out. Otherwise is it a ghost?
Switches can become defective. Have it replaced.
The switch itself has a small spring bar built in that holds the arm in the up or down position by tension. It can just wear out, allowing the switch to turns itself OFF by slipping down. Replace the switch, it is easy to do and not expensive at all. I hope you found this useful

No comments:

Post a Comment