Thursday, October 6, 2011

How do I change my light fixture to a ceiling fan when two different cables are involved?

When I took down the light fixture, several of the wires were connected, but I wasn't bright enough to take note. Now I have two cables: one with a black, white, and ground; the other with red, black, white, and ground. I tried the fan with just the one cable: b,w,g and blew the circuit. This circuit is also tied into other receptacles around the room. Everything appears to be attached to one light switch, though the receptacles work independently. How do I rewire everything to make it all work?
How do I change my light fixture to a ceiling fan when two different cables are involved?
you has done and got yourself into a predicament.

first question is did you keep all the wires on the other cable separate when you tried?

the best odds for what you have is:

the black wires are always hot.
the white wires are neutral.
the red wire returns form the switch to the fan.

However, there's no guarantee of that.

if it is, however, the colors go together, and the white from the fan goes to white, and the colored(s) from the fan goes to red.

get yourself a tester, separate all of the wires, and turn the switch off.

in theory, some of the receptacles around the room will be dead, ONE black will show 120V to the white from the same cable, and no other combinations will show power.

IF it is the cable with the red, you can then throw the switch and the red should have 120V to the same white.

if so, (turn the power off to do this) connect black-black and white-white. with the power back on, the breaker should hold, and the switch should put power on the red.

if so, my above wiring scheme is valid.

if not, we have more complications. I'll be in and out all weekend, and keep tabs on this thread.

final bit, not related to the electrical: make sure the ceiling box is sturdy enough to support the fan. it may be that you've done that, but I remind folks just to make sure.
How do I change my light fixture to a ceiling fan when two different cables are involved?
First are you okay working the circuit hot to id the hot conductor? Find it by using a voltage tester once you have done this turn the power off so we can do this as safe as possible. Open the switch take it out so you can see what color wire is connected to the bottom. Red if so continue in this manner tie the two blacks together then tie the two whites and add an 8%26quot; piece of wire to the splice. The red and white that you added will go to the fan and you are correct bring the green or bare to the fan also for this is your ground conductor. Turn the power back on and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment