Tuesday, October 25, 2011

If I held a lightswitch in the middle nine times for seven seconds, do I need to change it?

PLEASE READ EVERYTHING PLEASE! PLEASE READ EVERYTHING





I heard a sizzling sound when I held the lightswitch in the middle, when I leave it on (the switch fully up) I hear no sizzling or popping.



Does the light switch need changing?
If I held a lightswitch in the middle nine times for seven seconds, do I need to change it?
no thats the contacts arcing because your really close to closing the circuit but not completely. you just dont do that and it'll be fine.
If I held a lightswitch in the middle nine times for seven seconds, do I need to change it?
What you are hearing is the current arcing which just means the current is jumping in the switch in an attempt to make a connection. If you were able to see it with your own eyes it would resemble a static jump like when you touch a door knob and get zapped. The only difference is you aren't using static, you are making A/C current jump. The switch is fine as well as the surround area. just try not to hold the switch in the middle position because you can cause a little bit of burn marks within the switch, which can hinder or lessen the strength of the connection inside the switch.



Bottom line- you are fine, no worries, just try not to keep doing it.
I would definitely change it. It sounds like maybe the switch is about worn out. You can buy a switch almost anywhere for a dollar or less. Sure beats having house burn down.
No, it's just because it's in the middle. Push it up, and it's fine.
What you're hearing is arcing of the switch between on/off... so why are you doing this?

No comments:

Post a Comment