Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I switch off my light last night and it really sparked. I could see a lot of fire like sparks. ?

I then switched it on and it stopped. I have removed the light bulb and will call an electrician but i don't want to be told the wrong thing. There have been no changes to any of the electrics and im thankful i was home and saw it straight away. Could it have caused a fire? Any advise on what it could be please

Thanks
I switch off my light last night and it really sparked. I could see a lot of fire like sparks. ?
....yes! it could've caused a fire

...did the sparks occur at the light or from the switch?

(see the links below for a picture of what you should see)

....some homes have poorly connected switches and after several years of toggling the wiring falls off and causing sparks

....the wires are probably loose (and they should be inspected)



...if you are not able to check this yourself, ask a nice person to help you out for a moment

...replace the bulb into the light so you can tell when it is off



....turn off the power source at the main breaker box....determine which breaker is assigned to that room and flip it off....then try the switch to be sure the power is off....

....then after you have checked the light again and are sure it is off

...with no light or sparks

....then someone can remove the switch cover with a small screwdriver

....and remove the switch box with a screwdriver

....the wires should be visible.....see if they are connected

...see if they are blackened or melted

....if they are loose, you can reattach them easily (securely)

...but if they are not loose, but they appear blackened, then a professional (or knowledgable person) should be consulted before using the light anymore
I switch off my light last night and it really sparked. I could see a lot of fire like sparks. ?
Yes it could have started a fire. Right now, you need to turn OFF the breaker or remove the fuse from the main box(where all your electricity comes into the house). Next, get an electrician.
  • ittwit
  • server
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment