Thursday, October 6, 2011

I changed my light switches in my bathroom and now they don't work?

I have a new house and my bathroom has 3 switches, one to control the light, one to control the light in the shower, and the other to control the fan. I turned off the power to the room and removed the old switches, one at a time, and replaced them with the Decora switches. When I turned the power back on, nothing worked. I used my electric current tester and there is no power coming to the switch box. I've tried turning the breaker on and off, and even turned the power off to the whole house and that did not work (the other light switches on the same breaker work). The ground wire feeds to all three switches. Earlier in the day I was able to change the switches in the other bathroom that only had two and that worked.
I changed my light switches in my bathroom and now they don't work?
If the shower light is on this circuit then you may have a GFIC outlet that feeds the switches.

Check for a tripped GFIC outlet and that may be the problem.
I changed my light switches in my bathroom and now they don't work?
Since the other lights on the breaker come on, it is not a problem with the breaker, the problem is with the wiring or switches. From your description, the only thing I can think of is that you messed up the wiring some how or perhaps you pulled on the hot line too hard and somehow pulled it loose from a connection elsewhere? If the attic is above this bathroom, you may find a junction box up there and check if a wire has pulled loose. If you can't find a loose wire, I'd put the old switches back and see if the lights work again.
Narrow down the problem. Put the old switches back on and see if everything works again.

Then do them one at a time. And after you wired in one, turn on the power and test all 3/ then change the second//again turn on the power and check all 3 and then do the last one and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment