Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Are my receptacles not working because of bad light switch?

Two of the receptacles in my bedroom are tied to my light switch (they are actually two dials..one controls my ceiling fan and lights and one outlet and the other controls the other outlet). The other night my lamp went out and i thought it was the bulb, but after changing the bulb i realized the outlet was not working. So I moved my lamp into the other outlet and then last night my lights in my ceiling fan flicked on and then got real dim and now that outlet doesnt work either as well as my lights in my ceiling fan and the fan itself. Could is just be because the switch with the knobs on it is bad? we checked the circuit breaker. I have 3 other outlets in my room and they are all working fine...but id really like all the outlets to work and also now I am only using a lamp for light and it's just not really doing the trick.
Are my receptacles not working because of bad light switch?
These %26quot;dials%26quot; are dimmers?



It does sound like the dimmers both died, but the question is why? Did you plug a heavy load into the outlet? Dimmers are very particular as to load they can handle.



Anyway, get them replaced. If you don't need dimmers, get ordinary switches put in.



.
Are my receptacles not working because of bad light switch?
This seems like something you will want to fix right away. It could be that one of your switches is bad and will prevent the outlets from working. What worries me though is the lights in your ceiling fan flickering and going dim. That could be caused by a loose connection or a damaged wire. This has the potential to either get hot or cause sparks - either of which can easily start a fire inside your walls. Don't wait just because you are not using the outlets - the heat or sparks could still be getting worse.



Wires can also be damaged through other means such as nailing or drilling the wrong place, rodents chewing on them, weather damage if they are exposed to the sun or freezing, vibration from a motor or fan, too much movement due to a loose electrical box, etc.
  • makeup green eyed beauty
  • horses
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment