Thursday, September 15, 2011

I'm trying to change my light switch....?

I cut the power off, took it out the wall, and losen the screws, but the wires won't come out of the switch....Its like they're stuck. The back of the swith says push to release but it wont release....what do I do??
I'm trying to change my light switch....?
clip the wires as close to the switch as you can and then strip the ends to install the new switch
I'm trying to change my light switch....?
You need a really small flat screwdriver to jam into the tiny slots on the back next to where each wire is inserted. Push in hard enough and the wires will be released. Whatever you are using now is probably too big.



If you are trying to release the wires by pushing on the wires themselves you better get someone who knows what they are doing to do this.
Cut the wires flush at the back of the switch, strip off a little more insulation and you should be good to go.
While you are pushing that area to release the wire....try to rotate the wire back and forth. This will help it move outward little by little. They are stubborn.
To release the wires, you must use a very small screw driver pushed into the slot. This should release the wires but sometimes you must push the screwdriver and pull the wire at the same time. Some times the wire will not release easily.
Cut the wires and strip them and use the screws on the side.
Sounds as if you have the type where the wires are pushed into a hole. Beside each hole you should see a slot. Stick a small screwdriver or other object into the slot, while pulling out on the wire.
If there is enough slack in the wires, cut them off and wire in the new switch.
Cut them with a dykes and restrip them.
I use a straight dental pick(my brothers wife's family own a dental practice but you can pick up something similar at a tool store) push it into hole next to wire and pull wire out. Don't get the skinny ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment