Monday, September 19, 2011

I lost the electricity to my apartment after I installed a light switch and turned on the breaker.?

I installed a new light switch/outlet in my bathroom with the breaker off. But it did n't work properly, so I changed a white wire to a different spot on the light switch/outlet and when I turned the breaker on, all power in my apartment went out. I have tried to turn all breakers off and back on again, but it is not helping. They are not tripped. Could it be a fuse? Please help.
I lost the electricity to my apartment after I installed a light switch and turned on the breaker.?
Good thing that your laptop is battery operated. Use your phone and call an electrician.
I lost the electricity to my apartment after I installed a light switch and turned on the breaker.?
wiring the switch...

black wire to the gold screw,

white wire to the silver screw.

you could have blown the main breaker that controls all the breakers.

you could disconnect the wiring, after switching off the breaker if its not already off, and then turning on the power. the breakers should stay on, turn off the breaker n re wire the switch.

also, check your gfi's, its a long shot because gfis normally are not connected to lights but you might get lucky.

after reading your question again it is most likely a gfI (ground fault indicator) that has blown. find it n reset it, the push buttons on it will reset it. finding it may be a problem, look in the kitchen by the sinks, bathrooms, laundry room and maybe outside...it could be hard to find.

joe

No comments:

Post a Comment