Friday, September 23, 2011

I changed my light fixture and now the switch won't turn the light off?

I read other answers but I really took down the old light and marked the wires so I disconnected the white to white wires then the black to black wires then took the new fixture and connected white to white and black to black. The light switch was off but the light was on.

Now...that said the white and black wires coming from the ceiling are composed of several wires twisted together.

I attached the ground wire from the fixture onto the ground screw on the fixture. I did not touch the switch and it was working fine when I disconnected the original light.
I changed my light fixture and now the switch won't turn the light off?
Step by step.

1. Identify the wires to the switch.

2. Identify the power lead from the source.

3. Remove the fixture with the power off in the panel.

4. Separate the switch leads from the rest.

5. Connect the white wires to the fixture except the switch leads.

6. Put a black tape marker on the white wire in the switch cable.

7. Connect the black wire from the switch cable to the black wire in the fixture.

8. Connect the black wires and the white with the tape together.

9. Reenergize the circuit and test it.

10. Identify any remaining problems.

11. Call a qualified professional electrician to do the work.
I changed my light fixture and now the switch won't turn the light off?
What might of happened was that the power was going through the light box and you now have direct power to the light. The wire that is the feed must first go to the switch and then back to the light. See if this helps.



http://www.electrical-online.com/Lightsa鈥?/a>
I agree

No comments:

Post a Comment