Friday, June 3, 2011

What kind of light switch do I need?

I%26#039;m sure this has been asked and answered before, but I don%26#039;t know what kind it is I need to ask, so maybe someone can answer it for me or point me in the right direction.





I changed some light switches in my kitchen (from cream color to white), not thinking about the fact that there is a light that is controlled by two switches (I had to replace one of them). Now it doesn%26#039;t work right. I%26#039;m sure I used the wrong kind of switch when I replaced it. Before I go back to the hardware store to get a new switch, I%26#039;d like to be a little prepared as to what it is I%26#039;m looking for. I%26#039;m sure there will be someone at the store that can help me, but I%26#039;d like to have a little knowledge first.





So... What kind of light switch do I need when there are two switches that control one light?





Thanks.|||The others are correct about the 3-way switch. Perhaps it would help you to see a great article about 3-way switches. Figure 2 of this article is especially good.


http://www.act-solutions.com/kingery06.h鈥?/a>|||you need a threeway switch....|||It%26#039;s called a 3-way switch. The way it works is you have a common terminal and the hot wire goes to it. Then the other 2 wires are called runners and the go to the other 3-way switch and the common of the 2nd switch is hooked to the load or in your case the light. It%26#039;ll work then. Good luck.





Just be sure to connect the hot wire to the common terminal and the load to the common terminal of the other switch.

No comments:

Post a Comment